Skip to Content Skip to Footer Accessibility Concerns

Back to Index | Relevant Policy - 10.4 Compulsory Attendance Ages
10.4.P.1 Compulsory Attendance Ages

Section 10.4 - Policy


Every child between the ages of six (6) and sixteen (16) years shall attend a school and shall be provided instruction in at least the subjects of reading, grammar, mathematics, social studies, and science.  The person who has custody of the child shall choose a public, private, charter, or home school as defined in A.R.S. 15-802 to provide instruction.

The parent or person who has custody of the child shall do the following:
  • If the child will attend a public or private school, enroll the child and ensure that the child attends the public or private school for the full time that school is in session.  If the child attends a school that is operated on a year-around basis, the child shall regularly attend during school sessions that total not less than one hundred eighty (180) school days, or the equivalent as approved by the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
  • If the child will attend a private school or home school, file an affidavit of intent with the County School Superintendent stating that the child is attending a regularly organized private school or is being provided instruction in a home school, in accord with A.R.S. 15-802.
  • If the child will attend home school, the child has not reached eight (8) years of age by September 1 of the school year, and the person who has custody of the child does not desire to begin home instruction until the child has reached eight (8) years of age, file an affidavit of intent pursuant to A.R.S. 15-802 stating that the person who has custody of the child does not desire to begin home school instruction.

A person is excused from the duties prescribed above if it is shown to the satisfaction of the school principal or the school principal's designee:
  • The child is enrolled in an education program provided by a state educational or other institution.
  • The child is in such physical or mental condition that attendance at a public school is inexpedient or impracticable.
  • The child has completed the high school courses necessary for completion of grade ten (10) as prescribed by the State Board of Education.
  • The child has presented reasons for nonattendance at a public school which are satisfactory to the school principal or the school principal's designee.  For purposes of this paragraph, the principal's designee may be the school district governing board.
  • The child is over fourteen (14) years of age and is, with the consent of the person who has custody of the child, employed at some lawful wage-earning occupation.
  • The child is an enrollee in a work training, career education, vocational, or manual training program that meets the educational standards established and approved by the Department of Education.
  • The child was either suspended and not directed to participate in an alternative education program or expelled from school as provided in law.

School Procedures for Enrolling Students

Parents/Guardians must provide the following documentation upon enrollment:
Photo ID.  Parents/guardians must be present and provide a government issued photo identification.
Immunization Records.  All students entering Arizona public schools are required by law to be immunized. Proof of immunizations or a signed waiver is required at the time of enrollment and must include the name of the person, the birth date, the type of vaccine administered, and the month, day and year of each immunization. (A.R.S. § 15-872)
Birth Certificate.  A birth certificate is required to verify the correct legal name and birth date of the student. In compliance with federal, state, and district guidelines, all students are enrolled using the legal name on the student's birth certificate. If there has been a court-ordered name change, a copy of the court document must be provided at the time of enrollment. (A.R.S. § 15-828)
Proof of Residency.  A.R.S. § 15-802(b) requires school districts to obtain and maintain verifiable documentation of Arizona residency upon enrollment in an Arizona public school. The documentation must be provided each time a student enrolls in a school district, and reaffirmed annually. 
  • Utility Bill (gas, electric, home telephone, water, cable) 
  • Purchase or Escrow Agreement 
  • Lease or Rental Agreement
    • If an Agreement is being provided as proof of residence and the move-in date is within 30 days, a utility bill (gas, electric, water) must be submitted as valid proof of residence upon move-in.
    • Parents providing Agreements with a move in date exceeding 30 days must enroll at their home boundary school. Parents can elect to apply for Open Enrollment.

Affidavit of Residency.  If the child is residing in the home of a relative or friend, parent/guardian must provide a notarized Affidavit of Residency from the owner/renter. The owner/renter of the home must provide the same proof of residency documentation noted above with the Affidavit.
Withdrawal Form.   Provide a withdrawal from from the most recently attended school.
Court Documents.  Legal guardianship or custody papers are required if applicable:
  • If an adoption has taken place
  • If student lives with one custodial parent as the result of a divorce
  • If the student lives with anyone else, i.e. grandparents, aunt, uncle, sibling, friends or other relatives

Individual learning plans, evaluations, and other related documents.  Students receiving special services (special education, gifted, ELL and 504 services) are encouraged to provide copies of these documents upon enrollment, if available.

Support Programs Form.  The Support Programs Form is necessary to determine eligibility for potential services as a homeless individual.

Review the Enrollment Form
1.    Forms indicating child has received Special Education Services are forwarded to School Psychologist. 
2.    Forms indicating child has received Gifted Services are forwarded to the Gifted Representative. 

Review the PHLOTE Form
If a language other than English is indicated, the form is sent to school ELL Representative.