“Helping our students to become strong disciplined thinkers; thinkers who can navigate the complexities and challenges of college, career and civic life, is our main goal as social studies educators”.
-Mike Yell, Middle School Social Studies Educator
Hudson Middle School, Hudson, Wisconsin
President of National Council for Social Studies 2008-09
The Dysart Unified School District Social Studies mission provides all students with a high a quality K-12 Social Studies education that engages students in Social Studies content for the purpose of developing student historical and critical thinking through oral and written communication, collaboration, real-world application, and innovative use of technology to prepare students to be college and career ready.
- Aligning lessons to the College and Career Ready and State Social Studies Content Standards.
- Teaching skills for historical/ critical thinking and literacy.
- Incorporating 21st Century Learning Initiatives.
- Engaging in a collaborative culture of professional learning communities with fellow colleagues.
- Implementation of instructional strategies that are student-centered, challenging, and developmentally appropriate.
- Preparing students to be informed and responsible members of society.
- Engage students in meaningful learning and deep critical thinking so that our classrooms and schools continually reflect an atmosphere of rigor and relevance.
- Publish student products, performances and successes to other students, parents, and community.
- Build, develop, and share highly effective instructional and assessment practices.
- Align our schools’ goals with the aspirations of our communities and the realities of our world to benefit our students.
- Integrate professional research and reflective practices that encourage professional growth.
- Advocate, lead and support professional development to empower and equip teachers to reach their goals.
Social Studies Curriculum and Resource Links
Historical (Critical) Thinking Articles/Resources:
Arizona State and National Social Studies Standards:
Go to iSchool, and click “login as guest” button, see “iSource” link in list of course categories and click on it to see all grade level and course iSource pages.
“National History Day” Competition:
Civics Education – “We the People” Competition:
Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education- “Mock Trial” Competition:
Constitution Day Resources:
Arizona Council for the Social Studies
National Council For the Social Studies