Skip to Content Skip to Footer Accessibility Concerns

Student Records Request


You must request student records at the last school of attendance. Please visit the webpage to view the list of Dysart Unified School District schools to request student education records for students who attended within the last four years.

For special education records, please contact the ESS department at 623-876-7198 or email your request to [email protected].


Guidelines and Information when requesting Student Records:

School Breaks
  • District schools are closed during fall, winter, spring, and summer break.
  • Please make arrangements to request records from schools when they reopen.
  • Contact the schools directly for school office holiday/break closure dates and times.  

 8th Grade to 9th Grade Promotion Certificate
  • Dysart Unified School District does not issue promotional certificates.  Information regarding promotion from eighth grade to ninth grade will appear on the student's report card.
High School Diplomas
  • DUSD does not keep copies of high school diplomas, nor can diplomas be reordered.  
  • If you need proof of high school graduation, a transcript will suffice as proof of graduation in lieu of a diploma.
Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) 

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. Parents should understand that their rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level.  FERPA gives parents and eligible students the following rights:
  • The right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school.
  • The right to request that a school amend the student's education records.
  • The right to consent in writing to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the student's education record, except under certain permitted situations.
  • The right to file a complaint with the Family Compliance Office (FPCO) regarding an alleged violation under FERPA.
  • Please click here for further guidance on FERPA.
 ​Special Education Records:
  • IEP/MET student records requests
  • School-to-School or educational program 
  • Former Student (18 years or older) 
  • Parent/Guardian of a minor child (under the age of 18)
  • Verifications (Department of Economic Security) for special education students only
  • Specialized Student Data (Individual Evaluation Records & Specialized reports)

The Dysart Unified School Exceptional Student Services (ESS) department is the custodian of all special education related student records.  Please contact the ESS department at 
623-876-7198 or email your request to [email protected].

Please note:  Per the State of Arizona student records retention schedule, special education records are not permanent records and are destroyed four (4) years after the school year of last attendance OR from the date the student exited an ESS program.  An announcement is placed annually in the local newspapers to give parents/former students over the 18 years of age up to six months to request copies before the records are shredded.


Transcript Requests (High School):

  • All high school transcripts for grade levels 9-12 must be requested through Parchment.
  • Go to the High School Transcripts Request webpage to request unofficial or official high school transcripts.

*If you are seeking report cards/ grade reports for K - 8,  follow the procedures below for student education records requests. 


Student Education Records Requests:

Typically Requested By:

  • Parents/Legal Guardians of minor children (under the age of 18)
  • Former students (18 years or older)
  • K-12 educational institutions
  • Non-traditional educational institutions
  • Education or Background verification agencies

 May include requests for:
  • DACA (Deferred Action of Childhood Arrivals) 
  • Department of Economic Security Verifications - Non-Special Education students
  • Passports Applications
  • Student Health/Immunization
  • Educational/graduation or attendance verifications for employment or educational program placement


Education/Verification Requests by Background Agencies:

  • Submit your request through Parchment.
  • Please be sure your submittal includes a consent form signed and dated by the former student which lists the name of your company as the requestor and receiver of the information.
  • The consent must contain language authorizing release of academic/educational information.

Students currently enrolled (active) and inactive students who have graduated or withdrawn (less than 4 years from the last date of attendance):

  • Documents in the Parent Portal allow parents/guardians the ability to view or print grade reports, report cards, schedule information and unofficial transcripts.
  • Student Education and Health Records (non-special education) are stored at the last school of attendance.
  • You must request student records at the last school of attendance.  The Records/Archives department does not have access to the cumulative student files.  

How do I request records from the last school of attendance?  

How do I request student records during summer break? 
  • If you are a school with a summer program requesting high school transcripts, the student will need to request transcripts through Parchment.   
  • If you are requesting 7th or 8th grade report cards, email your request directly to [email protected].  Please allow up to 48 hours (two business days) from date of receipt to process your request. 
  • When school offices reopen in July, all records requests for current students may be directed to the K-8  elementary school or high school. 
  • If you need other student records besides a high school transcript or 7th/8th grade report card, you may contact the school office when it reopens for the new school year.

Students who have left the school district or graduated (more than 4 years from the date of last attendance):

  • Archived Student Records (non-special education) are sent to and securely stored at the District  Archives.  Archived student records only contain  documents deemed permanent in accordance to the Arizona State student records retention schedule used at the time of archiving.  
  • Birth certificates are not part of a student's permanent record.
  • Copies of any original immunization documents are not part of a student's permanent record.
  • Archived Student records will only be released with proof of consent by the  parent/legal guardian of the minor child (under the age of 18) or to the student (18 years or older)

How do I request student records from Archives?  

  • Request archived records via email to [email protected].
  • Include the student's full name used when he or she attended the school, the date of birth, and the schools/years attended.
  • Education/Background agencies must provide client consent. Electronic consents are acceptable.
  • If you are a parent/guardian or a former student (18 years or older) requesting student records, a copy of your government issued photo ID for identification verification  must be included with your request.