Dysart is focused on making certain every child graduates with 21st century skills that prepare that student for a college or career pathway. To accomplish that goal, the district offers options and opportunities to personalize learning for students. These options and opportunities provide students and parents with choice. Dysart has worked to build academy, signature and digital learning options into the educational system in addition to providing the comprehensive traditional programs of study.
These academies provide the following opportunities for personalized learning options to students:
Countryside and Marley Park Schools
Focus: Cambridge Advanced Studies
Cambridge is an internationally recognized program sponsored by Cambridge University in England; the academy offers a rigorous and relevant curriculum, preparing students to take a series of comprehensive examinations at the end of their 8th grade year. The examinations are scored by Cambridge University, and the students will receive feedback about their performance compared to students across the world. The advanced academic curriculum in math, science, English, and foreign language will also prepare students for advanced programs in high school, such as International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement (AP), as well as providing opportunities for students to excel beyond state grade level expectations. The Countryside academy is working to extend the learning opportunities of academically motivated students through this program.
West Point School
Focus: Fine Arts
The West Point Arts Academy's mission is to provide an arts-enriched learning environment merging creative and academic content to enhance student achievement. Research shows that the arts are conducive to powerful learning, and that increasing the presence of the arts in subject areas will increase motivation, relevance and achievement for students. By creating an arts focus, the Academy will establish mutually supportive partnerships with arts organizations and artists across the region. In consultation with community partners, including the West Valley Arts Council, Phoenix Symphony, West Valley Symphony, Phoenix Opera, Communiversity, Maricopa Community Colleges, and ASU, a curriculum of rigorous arts coursework is offered in the Arts Academy.
Specific objectives of the program are to support and challenge each student by becoming an academy that:
- Promotes holistic thinkers who demonstrate interdisciplinary understanding when they integrate knowledge and different modes of thinking from two or more disciplines, as they create products and solve problems.
- Enhances the strength of the community with a vibrant after-school arts extension and guest artists
- Embeds advancements in technology into its program so that students have all the tools necessary to succeed artistically and academically
- Provides a highly effective mentoring program that utilizes the diverse talents and networks of faculty, parents, and friends from across the community
- Engenders a sense of community and traditions among its students
- Provides students with the experiences needed to successfully enter and thrive at the high school level
- Continues to innovate with new programs such as new media and creative writing, as well as expanded school day and summer arts and academics
Focus: Global Studies
The global international studies at Luke Elementary School is an interdisciplinary program that provides students with an opportunity to think both globally and locally. An online world language learning program and building an understanding of world cultures forms a foundation of learning that is combine with practice communicating effectively with diverse audiences. The interconnectedness approach to study is a hallmark of this academy. It is an inquiry-driven approach to teaching and learning that is anchored in the Arizona College and Career Ready Standards.
Learning strategies that support global competence in solving real world issues include:
- Investigating he world beyond ones own immediate environment, framing significant problems, and conducting well-crafted and age-appropriate research.
- Recognizing perspectives, others and ones own, while articulating and explaining such perspectives thoughtfully and respectfully.
- Communicating ideas effectively with diverse audiences, bridging geographic, linguistic, ideological, and cultural barriers.
- And taking action to improve conditions, viewing oneself as a player in the world and participating in the world reflectively.
Canyon Ridge School
Canyon Ridge is dedicated to the integration of science, mathematics and technology throughout daily instruction and interaction. Canyon Ridge School is an integrated learning community of lifelong learners committed to preparing capable citizens with a strong academic foundation, a positive self-concept and an understanding of the individuals responsibilities within the larger society. At Canyon Ridge School, the educational experience extends beyond the school day and the school walls. Curriculum and instruction are organized around real-world problems. Students gather and apply knowledge from multiple disciplines with particular emphasis on science, math and health supported by transforming uses of technology. Collaboration, team building and partnerships define interactions among all members of the learning community. Problem-based learning, flexibility in grouping and in use of time, research and assessment to drive instructional decisions, and innovative approaches to teaching and learning are hallmarks of experiences at Canyon Ridge School.
Focus: Personalized Learning Environment
The Dysart Innovation Academy will provide a personalized learning environment for students in grades 5-8. Utilizing digital learning tools and relevant, project based instructional approaches this academy personalizes education for students by addressing the distinct learning needs, interests, and aspirations of individual students. In this personalized learning environment the students move from a “one-style-fits-all” approach to student-centered learning. Personalized learning allows instruction to be paced to student needs, modified to address learning preferences, and tailored to the interests of each learner. Student voice will be an important component with children engaged in decisions about the what, when and how of learning. Teachers will facilitate and mentor students who are engaged in integrated, real life learning experiences. Technology will allow students the opportunity to take ownership for their learning.
Coding for All School
Focus: Computer Coding
Surprise Elementary School will provide instruction focused on computer coding and computational thinking using a personalized learning based instructional design. Students will learn coding using hands on experiences in an age appropriate environment as they master Arizona State Standards. Students will also engage in computational thinking, a problem solving process that involves designing solutions that capitalizes on the power of computers.