MVS National Junior Honor Society
Dear Mountain View middle school students:
Membership in the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a middle school student. Our chapter has worked hard to bring the accomplishments of outstanding students to the attention of parents, teachers, peers, and the community. Our chapter strives to give practical meaning to the Society’s standards of scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship. These five ideals are considered as the basis for selection. No student is inducted simply because of a high academic average. The National Junior Honor Society strives to recognize the total student—one who excels in all of these areas. The standards used for selection are:
- Scholarship: 3.0 cumulative (B) average
- Above average qualities of leadership, service, character, and citizenship: as demonstrated by activities and teacher evaluations
Membership, however, is more than an honor. It is an ongoing responsibility and an obligation to continue to demonstrate those outstanding qualities that result in a student’s selection. Membership also carries a responsibility to the chapter. If our NJHS chapter is to be effective and meaningful, each member must become involved.
- Annual dues for this chapter shall be $10 per year. Dues will be payable to the chapter within 30 days of induction.
- Members are expected to attend all chapter meetings.
- Members shall regularly participate in chapter projects. Each member shall have the responsibility for choosing and participating in an individual service project which reflects his or her particular talents and interests and as approved by the chapter adviser.
- Each member shall be required to complete five hours of community service as part of their individual project each quarter.
- Follow all school regulations, student code of conduct, and laws.
- Any member failing to meet expectations will receive written warnings and faculty council hearings to discuss membership.
We hope you will submit your candidate information form so that the faculty council can evaluate your candidacy.
Debby Cruz Emily Allen
Principal Chapter Adviser