What is PBIS?
School-Wide Positive Behavior Interventions and Support (SW-PBIS) is a whole school three-tier approach to decreasing disruptive behaviors and increasing student success.
- One of the foremost advances in school-wide discipline is the emphasis on school-wide systems of support that include proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors to create positive school environments.
- Instead of using a piecemeal approach of individual behavioral management plans, a continuum of positive behavior support for all students within a school is implemented in areas including the classroom and nonclassroom settings (such as hallways, buses, and restrooms).
- Attention is focused on creating and sustaining primary (school-wide), secondary (classroom), and tertiary (individual) systems of support that improve lifestyle results (personal, health, social, family, work, recreation) for all children and youth by making targeted behaviors less effective, efficient, and relevant, and desired behavior more functional. –PBIS.org
- Systems for Students with High-Risk
- Specialized Group
- Systems for Students with High-Risk Behavior
- School-/Classroom-Wide Systems for All Students, Staff, and Settings
What are the outcomes?
- Decreased classroom disruptions and office discipline referrals
- Increased academic achievement and performance
- Improved school climate and safety
Why is it needed at our school?
School office referral data often shows that quite a few students are being sent to the office for preventable disruptions and disrespect in the classroom. When the student leaves the classroom, they are not learning and the disruption of them leaving interferes with the learning of others. We need to help all student be successful academically and behaviorally.
When students struggle with reading – we teach. When students struggle with math or music – we teach. When students struggle with behavior – we need to teach them how to succeed.
Knowledge, outcomes, impact of PBIS on our campus?
PBIS rollout of Tier 1 started in August of 2018. This section will be updated as we collect data on our implementation.